“…And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.”

Ephesians 3:17-18

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pressure Cooking

This post is not about the type of pot that my Granny uses to make most of her delicious home style meals, but rather about the insane amount of pressure that I put on myself when entertaining guests, more specifically new friends.

No offense to family members and already close friends, but you guys are easier to prepare for since I kind of already know your palate. For example, I know not to make a corn casserole if Naomi is coming to dinner, she wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot poll, on the other hand if I make a cheesecake for a gathering on my side of the family, there is a good chance there won’t be any left over, so you better get in there and get your piece while it lasts. None the less, there is always pressure when cooking for good friends and family, too – I don’t feed ya’ll Hamburger Helper for goodness sakes!

But the real challenge does come when having people over that you have never eaten with before. I try my hardest in advance to find out if they have any food allergies or utter dislikes, but sometimes I don’t find that out beforehand and I am left to figure out a meal that I hope everyone will enjoy…or at least chew…okay, swallow.

Does anyone else put this kind of pressure on themselves to present a delicious meal for new friends and whip up something that leads to everyone clearing their plate (I do not like to throw away food)?  

Bring on the gluten allergy, vegetarians, dislike of onion, vegans….wait, never mind I can’t handle that one, but all other diet exceptions and exemptions, I am up for the challenge!
Kristen

2 comments:

Elizabeth C said...

I do. A lot. But I have found one meal that seems to please everybody and is super easy. Stir-fry. I know that sounds a little simple, but you can make it appear to be harder than it is. Add tempeh, or shrimp instead of chicken, and put in all kinds of colorful fresh veggies. Get really adventurous and have Chinese noodles with it instead of rice. It works!

Naomi and Kristen said...

Your right, stir fry usually is a real crowd pleaser. I like the idea of using Chinese noodles-fun twist!

Post a Comment

Kind comments welcome. We love to hear from you.