“…And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.”

Ephesians 3:17-18

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Shake, Twist, Turn, Salsa, Shuffle….Zumba!

Exercise has always been very important to me but especially now, as a new mom since it is a stress reliever and I can use as much of that as I can get these days! 

I am a runner. I love running but it is also my default cardio exercise because I lack in the coordination department.  I became an avid runner around the age of 13 when I began competing in races and have continued to do so up to the present, only now I run about 2 races a year (wish it were more).  

On the other hand, my younger sister was graced with rhythm, fluid movements, and flexibility and is absolutely amazing to watch dance and perform.  A while back, my oh-so talented sister began going to Zumba classes at a local gym here in town and had been going on and on about how fun it was and what a great workout she got from doing it. She asked me to go on several occasions and I just so happened to always have some other important task calling my name…twiddling my fingers, organizing my sock drawer…you know important stuff.  I honestly knew I wouldn’t be able to go and “shake it like my momma gave me” amongst strangers and especially next to my sister, a really great shaker of what her momma gave her (and yes, we have the same mother).

Her ongoing requests finally wore me down and when my best friend was in town the week after Christmas, the three of us went to a Zumba class.  Yes, it was intimidating, it was hard, and I made a complete fool out of myself, but boy was it FUN!  Once I got over thinking about what others might be thinking of me and my not-so hot dance skills, I loved it.  Honestly, what I think I liked best was that I felt like a backup dancer in a music video…and who hasn’t ever dreamed of being in a choreographed dance scene?
 (This class is a lot like the ones I have been taking)
Zumba.com describes Zumba as a “"fitness-party" that is downright addictive.” Zumba is all the rage right now, so if you find out about a class or someone has been nagging you to go along with them, I encourage you to give it a try and unleash your inner-back up dancer!

Kristen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe I need a little more practice at home before I go to a real Zumba class!

Naomi and Kristen said...

I can't wait for you to come with me - it is so much fun!

Post a Comment

Kind comments welcome. We love to hear from you.