“…And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.”

Ephesians 3:17-18

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Money Saving Tip - Haircuts

I had very long hair for a very long time.  Dull, boring, thick as a phone book, dirty blond hair.   I always wanted a stylish and hip hairstyle, but the easy bun and pony tail were just too hard to give up.  Plus, a long time ago when pixie cuts were all the rage, I attempted to have it done and it turned out awful and I believe that experience scarred me from ever having a decently short haircut. Laziness and my frugal nature also played a big role in not getting my hair cut in to a cute style; do you know how much haircuts cost these days?!  Where I live it is not absurd to pay $50 for a trim! I will admit that I have had 2 or 3 really good trims and paid $45-$50, but I financially cannot do that and don’t want to do that.  Paying that price means that I can only get my hair cut like once a year and trust me, my hair grows super fast and I would soon be looking like Cousin IT from the Adam’s Family.

Around Halloween time this past year my younger sister told me that she was getting her hair done at the cosmetology department at the community college that she attends.  I was nervous for the drastic cut and color that she was going to have done by a stylist in training, but low and behold it looked amazing!  And the kicker, to have your hair washed, cut, and styled only cost $10!!!  Shoot, if you didn’t want it washed and styled, only $5, but I think I could afford the five extra dollars to have my head massaged with salon shampoo (love that smell) and styled to perfection. I was immediately setting myself up an appointment to have my desperate tresses trimmed. In the week leading up to my appointment with the same girl that cut my sister’s hair, I decided that I was going to make a bold and drastic move and donate my hair to Locks for Love; I mean I had plenty to share and this was something that I had always wanted to do.  

The stylist in training cut 12 inches off to begin my transformation.  I was in utter shock, but the change felt good immediately.  While the haircut and styling took a bit longer than it might take in a typical salon, the outcome was awesome.  I must add that my husband loves my hair and actually said, “Keep it like this always please.”- I felt so beautiful in this moment.
I actually enjoyed the lengthy appointment and felt that I was in good hands because my stylist was really concentrating on what she was doing and asking her teachers for guidance when she had questions.  I have been back three times since that first haircut and each time I love going there more and more.  The same stylist does my hair each time and we have formed a friendship and she is now really comfortable cutting and styling my hair. Being able to (afford) keep my hair cut and styled regularly makes me feel so good on the inside and out. Plus, did I mention it is only $10?!?!  

If you have a local community college I would suggest finding out if they have a cosmetology school and make an appointment.  You could start with a safe simple trim and then work yourself up to more advanced styles as you got more comfortable.  This is a great way to save some major bucks and it’s only hair, right?!

2 comments:

Kim said...

locks of love wonderful! yes it will grow back if you change your mind.

Anonymous said...

SCC also does massages, pedi's, and mani's and lots more! Community college is great!

Post a Comment

Kind comments welcome. We love to hear from you.